Caitlin: "Mom, can I have one of those stands outside where I sell stuff and make money?"
Me: "Oh, like a lemonade stand?"
C: "Yeah like a lemonade stand! Can I have one of those?"
M: "Well, we don't have any lemonade"
C: "Oh....how about if I sell fruit snacks?"
M: "Well....." (not wanting to stifle her creativity) "Sure"
C: " Can I charge $3.00 for the fruit snacks"
M: "How about .25 cents"
C: "OKAY!!!!!"
So I had her make a sign (she decided she'd also like to sell juice boxes), and we got all set up outside. Now, I have to tell you that we live in a quiet neighborhood. We probably have one car an hour drive by on average. I really didn't think she would make a single sale...
Here is Caitlin at the beginning, still all smiles:
Her sign:
She spent a lot of time waiting....
and waiting....

Then I suppose she thought maybe no one was coming because she didn't have enough selection (but really, it was just because no one knew she was there)...so then she decided to add Doritos and Otter Pops to her "store."

I mean, wouldn't YOU want to buy this stuff??

About an hour and a half into it (Caitlin had left her post at the table, and was biking around the driveway), a sweet older couple who were out for an afternoon drive must have taken pity on Caitlin, and stopped by. After a few minutes of conversation, they drove away with Tinkerbell fruit snacks and a fruit punch Juicy Juice box. I'm sure that was just the snack they were looking for. AND, right after that sale, we had our second customer of the day...this time our neighbor from up the street. All said and done, Caitlin made $1.38 (her customer's were overly generous). Not too shabby for 2 hours of work.
Then I suppose she thought maybe no one was coming because she didn't have enough selection (but really, it was just because no one knew she was there)...so then she decided to add Doritos and Otter Pops to her "store."
I mean, wouldn't YOU want to buy this stuff??
About an hour and a half into it (Caitlin had left her post at the table, and was biking around the driveway), a sweet older couple who were out for an afternoon drive must have taken pity on Caitlin, and stopped by. After a few minutes of conversation, they drove away with Tinkerbell fruit snacks and a fruit punch Juicy Juice box. I'm sure that was just the snack they were looking for. AND, right after that sale, we had our second customer of the day...this time our neighbor from up the street. All said and done, Caitlin made $1.38 (her customer's were overly generous). Not too shabby for 2 hours of work.
6 comments:
That is too cute! I remember selling grapes for 25 cents a grape :) The neighbors took pitty on me too - they are so nice :)
You should of called me. I could of brought over some of her very hungry cousins. They're always up for Doritos, Otter Pops, Fruit Snacks, and juice boxes. Um, actually it gives me a bit of a tummy ache thinking about it b/c I'm sure they'd want to eat them all in one setting. :) Very cute!
I"m sure that if Caitlin set up a stand on our street, I know of 3 "kids" who'd gladly come and buy some otter pops and juice boxes from her!
Very cute, love the pics!
And I remind me to tell you about what my kids sold on the street corner a few summer's back. It wasn't edible, and we still have them in a box somewhere, I can't bear to part with them.
Yes I remember the year when Lisa and Catherine (you were Caitlins age at that time) sold lemonade at the end of our driveway. I bought real lemons and squeeze out the juice and make it from scratch.
But you were lucky because they were having the summer games at the lake on the end of our street and everyone attending the games came by our house,It was also hot! bonus. I don't remember what you made but business was good. Mom
Oh I love it! What is it with children and this desire to sell stuff?! I remember making those friendship bracelets and selling Archie comics at the end of the driveway! Maybe I even sold you one back in the day lol!
I love it! What a great story! And, congratulations on baby #3....what a wonderful thing!
Post a Comment